Autor Nachricht

Klaus

(Administrator)

Ich habe gerade eine traurige Nachricht erhalten: Joe Cuba ist gestern verstorben. Ich bin so frei und zitiere Nils Fischer, der diesem Ausnahmemusiker vor kurzem noch mit "¡Gracias Joe Cuba!" ein Denkmal gesetzt hat:
Zitat:
Nils Fischer schrieb am 16.02.2009:

Dear Friends, yesterday a another great exponent of Latin music passed away. It is a great loss!!!

We all have to thank Sonny [that's his nickname] for his great music which is classic repertoire for all the salseros in the world.

Personally, I say thanks to him forever for mentoring me with my own Cd production from 2007, which was a tribute to him.

¡Gracias Joe Cuba!

Un abrazo.

Nils

Here a few thoughts about him which I also posted on the Latin jazz newsgroup at latinjazz@yahoogrou
Hi friends,

I just read those posts here in the group. Yes, another great of Latin music has passed away.

And what a special one!!! I must admit that I didn't meet him in person, but I talked to him on the phone a couple of times, when he was just recovering from hip surgery. He sounded like a young man, and I could feel the passion flaring up when he talked about the old days and about his music, JC: "It was great to blow away the audience night after night with just a small band!" He also talked very enthusiastically about how he prepared the repertoire and how he and the band rehearsed, and how they played at catskills, cocinando el repertorio...

I guess he must have had a great life, as he fullfilled his dreams with his work and music. As far as I can judge about it, think that he is a perfect example of the idea that technique on your instrument is nothing else than what enables your to express yourself in music. And that it can, but does not necessarily mean to be a virtuoso.

As a group undertaking the band sounded breath-taking, the repertoire was incredible. Of course those of you who experienced the band life [or performed, recorded with him...] know better than I do.

My condolences go to his wife María, his family and friends.
It is always to early.

Nils Fischer

www.salsaholic.de
16.02.09, 10:39:49

Klaus

(Administrator)

Auch die Süddeutsche Zeitung würdigt Joe Cuba:
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/356384/133/2763385/Nuyorican.html
Na ich hoffe mal, dass der falsche Nachname (Calderón wäre richtig gewesen) nur ein Tippfehler ist...
Klaus

www.salsaholic.de
18.02.09, 10:38:11
Gehe zu:
Forum Regeln: